New Poem Day # 1...

It's been a while since I've updated this site, and that's mostly due to the fact that I can't yet talk about most of my upcoming projects. So in an attempt to add a bit more content to this place, I'll be introducing a few new features. In the months to come, I'll be posting the occasion editorial about some hidden gems I've discovered during my years of writing and reading comics or whatever's got me angry at the moment.

But since I'm currently bogged down with another book I can't quite talk about right now, I'm going to be posting some of my older writing in a column called New Poem Day.

Back in college (and a few years following), I wrote quite a few poems. Some were adapted into comic book form and a handful were printed in some poetry magazines. But the majority of these little guys have never seen the light of day, so I thought I'd dig them out and post one here a week.

So without further ado, here's this week's offering:


What she thinks about during my sitcom

She paused from washing dishes
to ask me why I’d ever want to be a father.
I looked up from the television and said that
sometimes, when I get home from school
and I lay down on the couch,
the cat will lay on my stomach.
I hold it, it purrs gently,
and we just look at each other.
Then usually it bites my nose.
I told her I wanted that,
but without the biting.


Comments